[j-nsp] SFP Compatibility

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Tue Jan 15 20:00:35 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008, at 5:34 PM, bill fumerola wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 05:38:47PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>>          I heard some grumbling that HP implemented vendor locking on
>> their switches out of the blue with no notice and significant
>> downtime
>> caused to users who tried to upgrade code.
>
> this is true. as i recall, the warning was buried deep in the release
> notes (possibly even the release AFTER the code that made devices sad)
> and was phrased as a "reliability improvement" or some such.

Yep, this bit us, too. HP sold us switches saying we could move our
existing SFP inventory over to save money, then pushes a non-
downgradeable update on us for vague security reasons that slips in a
vendor lockout... This is getting a bit off topic, but I can't turn
down a chance to make sure the world knows about this. :)

We invested a decent amount replacing our switch infrastructure with
HP ProCurve switches. One of the things we confirmed with the sales
engineers was that our existing SFPs would work. We even brought demo
units in to play with before buying, and confirmed that our mish-mash
of SFPs would work. This was important because we were on a limited
budget, and I've got a rule about not stocking more spares than I
need. Kinda pointless stocking otherwise identical SFPs except for the
vendor ID.

Then one day we get a notice from HP suggesting that we upgrade the
firmware/OS on the switches. The exact description of the fix said
nothing more than "Certain types of traffic cause the switch to route
very slowly
and drop packets." (seriously, those exact words were the entire
description) Before doing the upgrade, I checked the full release
notes and saw nothing else scary, so I upgraded our test switch (which
had no SFP in it), saw that it was fine, then pushed the update to our
production switches. Looking back that was probably a mistake, but...
yeah. Even though the release notes said NOTHING about this, they
slipped in a change that made the switch stop accepting non-HP SFPs.
Absolutely nothing would get logged, the port would just seem dead.
Even worse, as soon as the switch saw a non-HP SFP in a slot, it would
completely kill that port until you rebooted the switch. Even swapping
an HP SFP in wouldn't help unless you removed your non-HP SFPs before
powering up. That made debugging this nearly impossible unless you
knew what the problem was. The only thing I could see was that all my
SFP ports were dead.

This pretty much meant we were completely down. HP's ProCurve support
seemed to know nothing about this change either. Downgrading to an
older version was impossible for reasons I can't quite remember right
now. Finally we get someone there to give us an updated release notes
PDF that mentions that they're no longer allowing non-HP SFPs. On page
80-something of a 100+ page PDF. Since then they've moved it up to
page 17, with a paragraph that says:

"Non-genuine ProCurve Transceivers and Mini-GBICs have been offered
for sale in the marketplace.
To protect customer networks from these unsupported products, starting
with release E.09.22,
ProCurve switch software includes the capability to detect and disable
non-genuine transceivers and
mini-GBICs discovered in Series 5300xl Switch ports. When a non-
genuine device is discovered, the
switch disables the port and generates an error message in the Event
Log."

We escalated this as high as they'd let us. The reply from high up was
that they were sorry for the inconvenience, but there is no
workaround, and that it's for our own protection.

I was a huge ProCurve fan before this, but... that's the last piece of
HP gear we've purchased. If their SFP prices were at least reasonable,
I would have at least been willing to put up with it, but when they're
asking for $4k for an SFP today (it was even higher back when these
were new), it's hard to justify that they're really doing this for
anyone's good but themselves. Google for "J4860B" if you don't believe
they actually want $4k for a GE SFP. :)

-- Kevin