[j-nsp] TCC Capabilities

Stéphane Grosjean Stephane.Grosjean at telindus.fr
Mon Jan 21 04:54:47 EST 2008

Hello,

>Is it possible to configure JUNOS to do both IP and TCC on the same
>interface?  I'm attempting to test out whether I can take a SONET OC3
>and transport it back to terminate on an Ethernet VLAN on another
>router.  The topology is simple:

I presume it will depend on your interface (both media type and capability of it).

I've never played around with TCC, but CCC and mainly in Ethernet environment, so I'll speak of it only. On Ethernet interfaces, you can achieve your goal (well, IP and CCC), using the correct encapsulation (for ethernet : either vlan-ccc, extended-vlan-ccc or the better flexible-ethernet-services). Those encapsulations come with their own advantages/disadvantages and limitations.

The simplest encapsulation to use is flexible-ethernet-services, as it allows you to do whatever you want, however it requires specific hardware, so you may lack of it.

Vlan-ccc is the most common encapsulation, but the ccc vlans must have an id > 512. That can be a problem. Extended-vlan-ccc removes that id restriction... but to only allow ccc on the interface, what is clearly not what you need.

I suggest you go in the documentations to see if TCC has the same possibilities than CCC, and to look for the different encapsulations you can use, taking in consideration your hardware.

Hope it helps.

Stephane.