[j-nsp] Tunnel Services

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Jul 16 05:59:44 EDT 2008

> I think Erdem is right in that the ASM is optional in the M7i chassis.
>  I'm not sure that many customers took the option of the M7i without
> the ASM, but the option was definitely there.   The absence of the ASM
> does not automatically mean that a discreet Tunnel PIC *will* be
> installed, although absolutely nothing precludes the installation of a
> Tunnel PIC in one of the four slots in an M7i whether the ASM is
> present or not.

I'm a bit surprised at some of the statements in this thread. As far as
I know, an M7i:

- Always comes with at least a built-in tunnel PIC. This can be used for
IP-in-IP or GRE tunnels, among other things. This is independent of
whether you have onboard GigE.

- *May* have a builtin ASM. This must be ordered on the initial M7i
purchase. The ASM is a extra daughtercard on the CFEB - if you don't
have an ASM, this space is empty. If you have an ASM, this is used for
the tunnel functions instead of the built-in tunnel PIC.

- *May* use an explicit tunnel PIC in one of the 4 PIC slots (but since
there is always a built-in tunnel PIC, why would you want to?).

The M10i doesn't come with the built-in tunnel PIC of the M7i, and needs
an explicit tunnel PIC or better for IP-in-IP and GRE functionality.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no