[j-nsp] Action taken for excess traffic in a QoS voice queue

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:45:15 EDT 2008

  Hey gang.  Hoped to get a sense for how others handle excess traffic
in a given queue in a QoS environment.  For example, if you allocate a
customer 50Mbps bronze, 30Mbps silver, 20Mbps gold service (and
policers enforce these limits), do you folks opt to drop any 'gold'
traffic in excess of 20Mbps, or simply drop it down to a 'lesser'
forwarding class?  I'm leaning towards the drop idea instead of
de-prioritizing but not having experienced it from the customer's
side, I'm not sure it's a good idea or not.  I'm no VOIP/video
streaming expert, but for some reason I imagine dropping excess
traffic would be easier to recover from than having the packets
potentially arrive out of order (though I could be wrong).
  Any insight would be appreciated.

David