[j-nsp] Application of L2 VPN in Real World Scenario

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:26:23 EDT 2008

  We've been using L2VPN exclusively for PtP customers and it works
just fine.  Haven't tested the scalability much yet, as we have less
than 100 of them on our busiest box, and it's a T-series with ample
resources.  I dabbled in L2Circuits recently, and found that I liked
them as well, especially due to the vendor interop that existed (built
ckts to a couple Foundry XMRs and even MRV OS9000s), and also because
I personally found the configuration much simpler.  We may look at
moving to L2ckts in the future.
  Same goes for VPLS.  Have been using BGP-signalled up until now, but
recently tested the now-supported LDP-signalled flavour with another
vendor and interop was pretty good.
  As for the earlier question about why people use L2VPN vs. VPLS, I
think this really comes down to resource consumption concerns on
smaller platforms, mainly in the form of maintaining MAC tables.  We
avoid it if we can, but certainly do have several VPLS customers, each
with a couple thousand MACs.

David