[j-nsp] redundant scenario

Matthias Gelbhardt matthias at commy.de
Sat Jul 26 13:12:15 EDT 2008

Hi!

I am hoping you can give me some tips for implementing this scenario.

I have two locations each with two J6350 routers. The locations are
connected via a fiber network with each other. On each location the
J's do have at least one eBGP session to different carriers. The boxes
speak iBGP over the fiberlink with each other. We have split our PA
space, so that we can announce different prefixes on each location.
The prefixes which are not originating on one location will be
received through iBGP from the originating one.

How could I implement a redundant scenario? At first I had thought
about getting the other prefixes via eBGP, but that is something,
which seams to be no "clean" solution. Furthermore our carriers seam
to be not happy with announcing prefixes with our AS in the path back
to us.

The more clean solution could be establishing a tunnel between the
location over the internet and speak iBGP with a low priority over it.
Unfortunatly I am a bit lost, which type of tunnel I should use for
this scenario, as the J's are unable to implement a L2TP tunnel for
example.

Would be great to get an idea and help implementing this!

Regards,

Matthias