[j-nsp] BGP question

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 19:43:42 EDT 2008

I think what Doug is getting at is that the loop checking that will
take place within the confederation will only compare subASes.  The
private AS that the partner is using will only be compared to your
global AS, not the SubASes which are confederation members... as long
as those two don't match you're in business...

As to the second part of Doug's comment, if you are still having
problems you can override the default behavior and allow for an AS to
repeat itself a certain number of times in a received NLRI by using
the 'as-loops n' statement where n represents the number of times the
AS is allowed to be present in the AS Path in such an NLRI.

A final suggestion is to have the partner remove the private-as on
advertisement of their NLRI.  This can be accomodated by having the
partner configure the 'remove-private' option on their neighbor
statement towards you.  One caveat to the 'remove-private' option is
that it only removes leading private AS numbers, so if there is a
private AS somewhere deeper in the AS Path list, this option won't be
of any use.

HTHs.

Stefan Fouant
Principal Network Engineer