[j-nsp] 3rd party DWDM SFPs

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Wed Jun 11 12:22:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with using 3rd party
> DWDM SFPs in M120 or M10i Gigabit Ethernet PICs?  Specifically, I'm
> looking at using these SFPs:
>
> Finisar FWLF1631xx 2.67 Gigabit RoHS Compliant DWDM SFP with APD
> Receiver:
>
> http://www.finisar.com/product-124-2.67_Gigabit_RoHS_Compliant_DWDM_SFP_with_APD_Receiver_(FWLF1631xx)

That choice strikes me as something I would use in my sonet network
OC48 cards or juniper OC48 cards. They come in different wavelengths
so that they can cooperate with dense wavelength division multiplexers.

I am very skeptical they would even function in a juniper GigE PIC.

You have to find GigE "ethernet" SFPs that clearly state their intended
role. Finisar of course makes them and I only own them in a few different
wavelengths like 850 and 1300nm. Otherwise known as SX or LX respectively.
Multimode and singlemode types.

I think I know what you want to do. You want to use DWDMs to multiplex
several GigE links down a single pair of fibers, correct? Sounds feasible
as long as each pair of GigE PICs can be installed with different wave-
lengths of optics.