[j-nsp] 3rd party DWDM SFPs

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jun 11 12:43:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:22:35PM -0400, Matt Yaklin wrote:
>> Finisar FWLF1631xx 2.67 Gigabit RoHS Compliant DWDM SFP with APD
>> Receiver:
>>
>> http://www.finisar.com/product-124-2.67_Gigabit_RoHS_Compliant_DWDM_SFP_with_APD_Receiver_(FWLF1631xx)
>
> That choice strikes me as something I would use in my sonet network
> OC48 cards or juniper OC48 cards. They come in different wavelengths
> so that they can cooperate with dense wavelength division multiplexers.
>
> I am very skeptical they would even function in a juniper GigE PIC.

That's not what I wanted to hear.  Finisar claims a maximum data rate
of 2.67 Gb/sec, which leads me to believe they will run at slower
speeds in a GigE PIC (see the other thread here where I ask about 2.5
Gig SFPs).

> You have to find GigE "ethernet" SFPs that clearly state their intended
> role. Finisar of course makes them and I only own them in a few different
> wavelengths like 850 and 1300nm. Otherwise known as SX or LX respectively.
> Multimode and singlemode types.

I need DWDM C-Band wavelengths.  I was kinda hoping that I could run
these SFPs at 1 GE today so as to future-proof my purchase for
possible upgrade to OC-48 later.  Also, I was unable to find any DWDM
C-Band 1.25 Gb/sec max rate SFPs that were specifically made for
Gigabit Ethernet.

> I think I know what you want to do. You want to use DWDMs to multiplex
> several GigE links down a single pair of fibers, correct? Sounds feasible
> as long as each pair of GigE PICs can be installed with different wave-
> lengths of optics.

Actually, I want to connect to a metro ring that isn't using
transponders, but the idea is similar.  I believe they are using Cisco
optics gear and their other customers are using Cisco-branded DWDM
SFPs at GigE speeds.  Heck, the Cisco SFPs are probably OEM'ed from
Finisar anyway.