[j-nsp] juniper-nsp Digest, Vol 67, Issue 15

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jun 12 05:45:55 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:11:46PM +0100, Brendan Regan wrote:
> Hi,
> With the advice of everyone and the following link I have managed to get the
> Lacp working by removing tagged ports.

You can definitely run LACP + .1q tagging just fine (well on everything
except original Juniper FPC non-E's, the kind with B-Chip 2.0, but that
shouldn't be a concern for you on an M10i). What you're probably hitting
is an incompatibility with how the LACP control packets are delivered over
a trunked port.

I've hit this issue plenty of times, and the first time it comes up it's
pretty hard to figure out whats going on. Basically Cisco (switches,
anything catalyst based at any rate) has a concept for its 802.1q tagged
("trunked" ports in Cisco-speak) called a "native vlan", which is one
specific vlan that you must assign for every trunk port where any untagged
packets end up, and which does't transmit a vlan tag on outgoing packets
from this vlan. Juniper has no such concept (and rightfully so, it's a
horrible Ciscoism), and expects every data packet on a vlan-tagging port
to actually be tagged. Cisco "fixed" this really nasty historical behavior
by adding a software option to tag the native vlan, but one side-effect of
having this enabled is that it tries to 802.1q tag the LACP control
packets when it sends them over the wire. Juniper flatly refuses to parse
the LACP packets like this, thus preventing the LACP trunk from coming up,
and the only workaround is to disable native vlan tagging on the Cisco (or
maybe to manually push/pop the tag of the native vlan id on the Juniper
side :P). I haven't actually bothered to read the 802.3ad spec to see who
is in the right here, but my gut feelig is that Juniper's behavior is
technically correct.

I can't speak to Foundry RX specifically, but certainly on other Foundry
platforms and versions of code there have been sometimes evolving concepts
of being able to configure a tagged port as mixed tagged and untagged, or
not. There have also been plenty of Foundry bugs too. :P You should
probably just put a sniffer on the wire and see whats actually going on
here, or just try to tcpdump it on the Juniper and see if you're actually
receiving the LACP control packets to the RE.