[j-nsp] 3rd party DWDM SFPs

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Jun 12 04:53:31 EDT 2008

> The only real gotcha I've hit in Juniper's support for 3rd party optics is
> that they don't expose the actual optic EEPROM contents (with things like
> vendor name and part number) via the CLI. This make it very difficult to
> do remote inventory management (aka figure out what color optic is in what
> slot), short of actually pulling out the optic and reading the label
> (which tends to negatively impact the function of the port :P).
>
> If the part number doesn't match something they expect to see as a
> Juniper-branded optic, the only thing you can see is "UNKNOWN", like so:
>
>   PIC 0                   BUILTIN      BUILTIN           1x 10GE(LAN/WAN)
>     Xcvr 0                NON-JNPR     KCL005R           UNKNOWN

You can get a *little* more info from "show chassis pic":

sthaug at cr1.osls> show chassis pic fpc-slot 2 pic-slot 1
FPC slot 2, PIC slot 1 information:
  Type                             4x G/E SFP, 1000 BASE
  ASIC type                        SFP GE FPGA
  State                            Online
  PIC version                  1.5
  Uptime                        175 days, 7 hours, 57 seconds

PIC port information:
                          Fiber                    Xcvr vendor
  Port  Cable type        type  Xcvr vendor        part number     Wavelength
  0     GIGE 1000LH       SM    FIBERXON INC.      6128C-SL5051G   1510 nm
  1     GIGE 1000LX       SM    CISCO-FINISAR      1000BASE-LX     n/a
  2     GIGE 1000LX       SM    CISCO-FINISAR      1000BASE-LX     n/a
  3     unknown cable     SM    CISCO-FINISAR      F-WDM-1530      n/a

So here we have a 1510nm SFP in 2/1/0 and a 1530nm SFP in 2/1/3. However,
it's not the complete EEPROM contents by any means...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no