[j-nsp] 3rd party DWDM SFPs

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jun 12 05:08:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:55:43AM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with using 3rd party
> DWDM SFPs in M120 or M10i Gigabit Ethernet PICs?  Specifically, I'm
> looking at using these SFPs:

The only real gotcha I've hit in Juniper's support for 3rd party optics is
that they don't expose the actual optic EEPROM contents (with things like
vendor name and part number) via the CLI. This make it very difficult to
do remote inventory management (aka figure out what color optic is in what
slot), short of actually pulling out the optic and reading the label
(which tends to negatively impact the function of the port :P).

If the part number doesn't match something they expect to see as a
Juniper-branded optic, the only thing you can see is "UNKNOWN", like so:

  PIC 0                   BUILTIN      BUILTIN           1x 10GE(LAN/WAN)
    Xcvr 0                NON-JNPR     KCL005R           UNKNOWN

If you actually want to see the optic EEPROM details you have to look at
it from the PFE shell, like so:

ADPC1(re0.routername vty)# show xfp 1 identifier
                                    ^-- NOT 0-based port number! Argh! :P
  Identifier:             XFP
  Connector type:         LC
  Encoding:               Unknown
  Vendor name:            FINISAR CORP.
  Vendor OUI:             009065
  Vendor PN:              FTRX-3811-328-TR
  Vendor Rev:             00
  Vendor SN:              KCL005R
  Juniper PN:             NON-JNPR
  Juniper Rev: