[j-nsp] L3 incompletes

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Fri Jun 13 08:41:08 EDT 2008

* bit.gossip at chello.nl (Bit Gossip) [Fri 13 Jun 2008, 14:13 CEST]:
>we are experiencing a constant presence of "L3 incomplete" on a 1 Gige
>PIC. This is ~1 every 5 mins. Any idea what can be the reason?

You didn't search the archives, did you?

>The Junos doc says "This counter increments when the incoming packet
>fails Layer 3 (usually IPv4) checks of the header. For example, a frame
>with less than 20 bytes of available IP header would be discarded and
>this counter would increment."
>This means that L2 is ok so also physical layer is ok?

Ethernet interfaces in Juniper routers work in cut-through mode,
therefore a frame that fails DA check (e.g. an unknown unicast frame
flooded by the switch) is counted again as L3 incomplete.  This is a
known limitation/bug/documentation incompleteness.

	-- Niels.