[j-nsp] Getting started with Juniper

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Thu Jun 19 12:19:12 EDT 2008

From: "Tom Storey" <tom at snnap.net>
[...]
> A J2300 (with 2xE1 and 2xFE) has come up that might be in
> my price range, and if it is Id be very interested in
> buying it.
[...]
> What sort of image would I be looking at to support these
> features? Can anyone point me in the right direction to
> some web pages that have the info on them? [...]

  There are only a couple of feature variations for the J
series (not much different from any Juniper): standard and
"Enhanced Services", and a couple of license variations: BGP
route reflector and J-Flow.  Best place for docs:
[http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/].
  A quick Google search for "Core Support Package for J2300"
gets a couple of hits from down under... It usually takes a
few gyrations to get a product registered, so I wouldn't lay
down any money 'til you're certain you can actually register
your product.  But the fees look pretty reasonable (the
unhappy USD helps, I imagine).
  Me, I find that Cisco and Juniper both have advantages and
disadvantages.  CE QoS/queueing is my latest peeve --
neither can match a decent CBQ or HFSC setup.

Peter E. Fry