[j-nsp] One router/two firewalls config question

Jesper Skriver jesper at skriver.dk
Wed Mar 12 12:37:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:14:14AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2008, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
> > Any my switch has multiple switch fabrics, multiple CPUs,
> > multiple fan trays, and multiple power supplies :-)
>
> I've found it's easier to justify this on edge and border
> routers, where the box-level redundancy depends on the
> connectivity density required and where multiple links
> would be aggregated into one chassis without the need to
> multi-home them.
>
> Of course, box-level redundancy goes without saying for core
> routers.

I'd say exactly the opposite, it's trivial to build a core network
with redundancy, so it doesn't depend on any single box or link.
But on the edge a given customer is typically connected to one
box, when that box goes down, the customer looses connectivity, so
on edge boxes you need redundant boxes much more than in the core.

/Jesper