[j-nsp] One router/two firewalls config question

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Mar 12 13:15:21 EDT 2008

On Thursday 13 March 2008, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> I'd say exactly the opposite, it's trivial to build a
> core network with redundancy, so it doesn't depend on any
> single box or link. But on the edge a given customer is
> typically connected to one box, when that box goes down,
> the customer looses connectivity, so on edge boxes you
> need redundant boxes much more than in the core.

This is why I mentioned the exception being in a multi-homed
situation.

But given a case where most customers will single-home to an
ISP, it would seem harder to justify having several more
boxes than necessary. However, if a customer is dual-homed
to you, sure, that justifies itself no problem.

A network may have multiple edge routers and provision
customers onto them in a round-robin fashion to mitigate
impact in case one of them fails, but that single-homed
customer still loses his connection to the ISP if his edge
router was the one that died.

Mark.