[j-nsp] M10 FEB heap usage (RPF/route options)

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Wed Mar 19 04:34:24 EDT 2008

I think you may consider to upgrade the memory.
If you use some feature set such as rpf-check, it will build another set
of table to consume the memory.
So if you use rpf-check, you can disable it to decrease heap memory
utilization problem.
But eventually if you want to hold full routing table, you may have to
upgrade the memory to 128M.
I think M10 FEB can be upgrade up to 128M.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer
Norlight , Inc.
Applications Engineering
13935 Bishops Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone. +1-262-792-7965
Fax. +1-262-792-7733
Email. hryu at norlight.com

Tomasz Szewczyk <tomeks at man.poznan.pl>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
03/19/2008 03:21 AM

Kevin Day <toasty at dragondata.com>
cc
juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Fax to

Subject
Re: [j-nsp] M10 FEB heap usage (RPF/route options)

Hi,

We have quite similar problem. The FEB shows:
FEB status:
  Temperature                        27 degrees C / 80 degrees F
  CPU utilization                    11 percent
  Interrupt utilization              19 percent
  Heap utilization                   96 percent
  Buffer utilization                 61 percent
  Total CPU DRAM                     64 MB
  Internet Processor II                 Version 1, Foundry IBM, Part
number 9

and even the arp count is similar:
> admin at core-ams> show arp no-resolve |count
> Count: 411 lines

show arp no-resolve | count
Count: 461 lines

It seems there is not problem related to prefix count:
sh jtree 0 onchip summary
     Protocol      Routes  Bytes Used
-------------  ----------  ----------
         IPv4      248927     3599360
         IPv6        1177       20896
         MPLS           1          16
Multi-service           1          16

If this problem can be related to software version or features enabled
on the router - is there any way to decrease Heap utilization by
disabling some unnecessary functions? Can this lead to the packet drops?

Tomek

--
Tomasz Szewczyk
Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center
e-mail: tomeks at man.poznan.pl
tel: +48 61 8582020
fax: +48 61 8525954