[j-nsp] OSPF neighbor Down :: without reason

Andrew Mulheirn Andrew.Mulheirn at telindus.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 13:05:36 EDT 2008

Hi -

The inactive timer is (I presume) the OSPF dead-timer expiring.  If so (and if set to defaults) it means that e.f.g.h didn't receive an OSPF hello for 40 seconds from a.b.c.d.

a.b.c.d discovering that e.f.g.h is in one-way state probably happened immediately after e.f.g.h decided a.b.c.d was dead.  I guess a.b.c.d still thought the neighbour relationship was still full, which means that either the problem with hello packets being received only affected one neighbour, or that a.b.c.d's timer hadn't expired.

Presumably the chronology is something like this:

1. e.f.g.h doesn't get hellos from a.b.c.d

2. a.b.c.d may still be getting e.f.g.h's hellos, so hasn't timed-out the neighbour relationship

2. e.f.g.h's inactive timer expires, and decides a.b.c.d is dead

3. e.f.g.h clears the neighbour state internally

4. e.f.g.h sends a hello and goes into one-way, waiting for neighbours to let themselves be known

5. a.b.c.d receives the new hello which no longer contains his RID, and clears his neighbour state to start afresh.

Sounds to me like a layer-2 issue that affected OSPF hello reception on e.f.g.h somehow.  Broadcast storm or ARP poisoning of a.b.c.d's address maybe?

Just a few random thoughts.....

Andrew