[j-nsp] T-640 management ports

German Martinez gmartine at ajax.opentransit.net
Wed May 14 12:08:16 EDT 2008

On Tue May 06, 2008, alain.briant at bt.com wrote:

Hello Alain,

> You must be careful using the Aux port.
> The cabling like you've seen is not completely the same as on the console port.

According to the juniper documentation both ports are the same.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/t640/t640-hwguide/pinouts-db9.html#pinouts-db9

We are using identical cables. IMO, the only difference between CON and AUX is that CON is
enabled by default.  I could be wrong.

> Juniper is providing a crossover cable with some loops in it.
> If you are using this kind of cable you will be able to connect a PC on the console port and on the Aux port at the same time.
> If you are using some different kind of crossover cable (Cisco console for example), it will work on the console port but not on the Aux one.
> So, you will certainly need to adapt some loops in the cabling you are using on you Cisco TS.

We did not use any loops. The port was not working because Juniper had some issues with
the AUX port on the JunOS release -is a daily version- that we run.

> For example you will certainly have to loop DTR to DSR and RTS to CTS.
>
> Hope This will help
> Alain

Thanks
German Martinez