[j-nsp] Which Router

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu May 15 19:45:05 EDT 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Blake Willis wrote:

>   - Juniper doesn't recommend exceeding 40 BGP peers on
> the J2320, but in real life it all depends on the number
> of routes/peer and how much you're willing to let control
> plane processes use the CPU instead of forwarding packets
> with it. Several folks here seem to be running double
> that number without incident.  YMMV.

All inclusive, we have found the J2320 to be cheaper than
Cisco's 7201 router for route reflector applications (even
after purchasing the route reflection licenses, something
I'm not too fond of from Juniper, but hey...).

We are looking to use them, as a start, in smaller PoP's
where we probably have only a handful of full routes and
quite a number of VPN NLRI (L2, L3), and only need to use a
couple RU's of rack space.

I only wish they (officially) supported more than 1GB of
memory.

Cheers,

Mark.