[j-nsp] Floating default routes on M-series

Junaid junaid.x86 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:50:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to uplink traffic for some of my customers via ISP-1 using
routing-instance on an M-series route (relevant config snippet
attached).

routing-instances {
    uplink-to-ISP1-ri {
        instance-type forwarding;
        routing-options {
            static {
                route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop a.b.c.d;
            }
        }
}

My problem is that the next-hop ip a.b.c.d is on an Ethernet
sub-interface on the same router that does not go down. Hence when I
lose connectivity to my ISP-1, the traffic uplinked via this routing
instance is dropped. Can I configure floating static routes using
'qualified-next-hop' within this routing-instance - will this help
considering that fact that my next-hop IP address in this case is
assigned on an Ethernet sub-interface? Or can we have another solution
to the problem like some method to detect that the next-hop IP is
unreachable so that a different next-hop can kick in?

Regards,

Junaid