[j-nsp] Juniper support vs. Cisco TAC - experiences?

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Wed May 28 04:17:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, 27 May 2008, matthew zeier wrote:

> I'm looking at the EX4200 as an alternative to Cisco's 3750G.  The
> EX4200 is much less expensive than a comparable 3750G.
>
> Oh, and Juniper doesn't do VTP or CDP (or Cisco doesn't do LLDP)!

Cisco does support LLDP, which is the way to go anyway.
LLDP provides more usable information by default and the spec is
public and expandable.

The strangest part is that in recent IOS versions (on C2960G)
LLDP seems to support more additional TLV's (sysname, location, power)
than CDP, even though the last CDP extensions were specified in 2003.
Which shows that even cisco is betting on LLDP as the way forward.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem