[j-nsp] Software Tool for Network Simulation with JUNOS-based Routers

Brandon Bennett bennetb at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:39:23 EDT 2008

> Jens Hoffmann wrote:

> I'm looking for a Network Simulation Tool for JUNOS-based routers like
> DYNAMIPS for Cisco  (
> http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator ).
>
> It's not my intention to build a router or a network based on OLIVE !

Here is a project of mine.

http://www.internetworkpro.org/wiki/Using_QEMU_with_Olive_to_emulate_Juniper_Routers

I have a new patch to release, I just need to test it some more.   I
am moving away from the pemu nic (which has some serious MTU issues)
and going with the official eepro100 nic emulation.

I'll try to get a new patch out this weekend.

Now if i read your request right, you want to emulate a real Juniper
router?   A good place to start would be the J series.  They are
software as are the Cisco routers Dynamips emulates.  I would use QEMU
as a good start on this (See the PEMU project which is similar for
Cisco Pix Firewalls).

The M-series would be near impossible.  It is built with forwarding
done in hardware on specific (read: no public specs) ASICs.   This is
why none of the Cisco hardware switches or routers are emulated on
dynamips either.

In short, you can do 90% of what you need for lab and study work with
an Olive.  With my Qemu patch you can do full routing protocols and
even network to a dynamips instance or even PEMU.

HTH,

Brandon Bennett