[j-nsp] Why should I *not* buy an MX?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Nov 8 14:24:45 EST 2008

> Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:36:11 -0200
> From: "Rubens Kuhl Jr." <rubensk at gmail.com>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> >> Because it's expensive compared to possible alternatives outside
> >> J-Land, including, but not limited to, Force-10.
> >
> > force10's cost advantage is chipped away at by the OP's IPv6 requirement.
>
> Yes, IPv6 and MPLS are not currently supported (and they might be or
> not, in the future) by Force-10. Pricewise that would lead to choosing
> Cisco Cat6K with or without DFCs depending on throughput requirements.

I believe that this is half in error. IPv6 is supported, if not too
well, in recent software, but MPLS support will require a new ASIC spin
and I can't be sure when/if that will happen. IPv6 support was designed
into all of the F10 ASICs produced in the past three or four years, but
the software support was slow in arriving.

There is a lot I like about the F10 hardware, but the routing software
is still immature compared to other vendors and the lack of MPLS
capability makes them a non-starter when we look at hardware.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)