[j-nsp] flexible-ethernet-services on 1000 LH interfaces

Dan Benson dbenson at swingpad.com
Wed Oct 15 08:58:31 EDT 2008

All,

I am trying to build l2circuits between a few junipers in my network
without any luck.  In my test case I have M20s with dual LH optic GIGe
interfaces facing a cisco cat 6500 using 802.3ad where I then have
vlans hanging off said switch to service downstream transit customers
and, I was hoping, possible transport customers.

Router A:
ge-0/1/0 {
     gigether-options {
         802.3ad ae0;
     }
}
ge-0/2/0 {
     gigether-options {
         802.3ad ae0;
     }
ae0 {
vlan-tagging;
mtu 9100;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
aggregated-ether-options {
     link-speed 1g;
}
unit 600 {
     encapsulation vlan-ccc;
     vlan-id 600;
}

show configuration protocols l2circuit:
neighbor (neighbor lo0) {
     interface ae0.600 {
         virtual-circuit-id 600;
         no-control-word;
     }
}

show l2circuit connections:
Layer-2 Circuit Connections:

Legend for connection status (St)
EI -- encapsulation invalid      NP -- interface h/w not present
MM -- mtu mismatch               Dn -- down
EM -- encapsulation mismatch     VC-Dn -- Virtual circuit Down
CM -- control-word mismatch      Up -- operational
VM -- vlan id mismatch           CF -- Call admission control failure
OL -- no outgoing label          XX -- unknown
NC -- intf encaps not CCC/TCC
CB -- rcvd cell-bundle size bad

Legend for interface status
Up -- operational
Dn -- down
Neighbor: (neighbor lo0)
     Interface                 Type  St     Time last up          # Up
trans
     ae0.600(vc 600)           rmt   Up     Oct 10 11:49:07
2008           1
       Local interface: ae0.600, Status: Up, Encapsulation: VLAN
       Remote PE: 1(neighbor lo0), Negotiated control-word: No
       Incoming label: 275138, Outgoing label: 738273

Router B:
ge-1/0/0 {
     gigether-options {
         802.3ad ae0;
     }
}
ge-2/0/0 {
     gigether-options {
         802.3ad ae0;
     }
}
[...]

     ae0.600(vc 600)           rmt   Up     Oct 10 10:49:09
2008           1
       Local interface: ae0.600, Status: Up, Encapsulation: VLAN
       Remote PE: (neighbor lo0), Negotiated control-word: No
       Incoming label: 738273, Outgoing label: 275138

MPLS in my network is running without flaw thus far and I have tested
the intercommunication between the M20's and the Cat6500s on both
sides, all working as one would expect.  Do these LH GIGe interfaces
not support Flexibility? Do I need to add the "flexible-ethernet-
services" to each interface in the ae?

That you much for your time in advance.  //db