[j-nsp] 'phantom' link aggregation interface

Ebben Aries ebben.aries at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 02:39:54 EDT 2008

> around for years and that nobody seems to care about either. For example
> "show interface diagnostics optics" allows you to hit enter afterwards
> without specifying an interface, but if you don't specify an interface
> it won't return any optical data at all. This not only doesn't follow
> all other behaviors, but there is no way to "scan" all of your
> interfaces for their optical data short of typing them all our manually.

Current workaround to scan all interfaces is to specify a wildcard

user at router> show interfaces diagnostics optics
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
  Interface index: 136, SNMP ifIndex: 24
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 2000, Speed: 10Gbps, Loopback: Disabled,
  Source filtering: Disabled, Flow control: Enabled
  Device flags   : Present Running
  Interface flags: SNMP-Traps Internal: 0x4000

user at router> show interfaces diagnostics optics *
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0
    Laser bias current                        :  42.880 mA
    Laser output power                        :  0.705 mW / -1.52 dBm
    Module temperature                        :  38 degrees C / 100 degrees F
    Laser rx power                            :  0.773 mW / -1.12 dBm
    Laser bias current high alarm             :  Off
    Laser bias current low alarm              :  Off
    Laser output power high alarm             :  Off
    Laser output power low alarm              :  Off
    Module temperature high alarm             :  Off
    Module temperature low alarm              :  Off
    Laser rx power high alarm                 :  Off
    Laser rx power low alarm                  :  Off
    Laser bias current high alarm threshold   :  84.600 mA
    Laser bias current low alarm threshold    :  17.800 mA
    Laser output power high alarm threshold   :  2.238 mW / 3.50 dBm
    Laser output power low alarm threshold    :  0.075 mW / -11.25 dBm
    Module temperature high alarm threshold   :  75 degrees C / 167 degrees F
    Module temperature low alarm threshold    :  -5 degrees C / 23 degrees F
    Laser rx power high alarm threshold       :  1.778 mW / 2.50 dBm
    Laser rx power low alarm threshold        :  0.023 mW / -16.40 dBm

What you are referring to is actually PR285978 and is resolved in
upcoming releases.

user at router> show interfaces diagnostics optics
Physical interface: ge-1/0/0
    Laser bias current                        :  30.312 mA
    Laser output power                        :  0.821 mW / -0.86 dBm
    Module temperature                        :  30 degrees C / 86 degrees F
    Laser rx power                            :  0.566 mW / -2.47 dBm
    Laser bias current high alarm             :  Off
    Laser bias current low alarm              :  Off
    Laser output power high alarm             :  Off
    Laser output power low alarm              :  Off
    Module temperature high alarm             :  Off
    Module temperature low alarm              :  Off
    Laser rx power high alarm                 :  Off
    Laser rx power low alarm                  :  Off
    Laser bias current high warning           :  Off
    Laser bias current low warning            :  Off
    Laser output power high warning           :  Off
    Laser output power low warning            :  Off
    Module temperature high warning           :  Off
    Module temperature low warning            :  Off
    Laser rx power high warning               :  Off
    Laser rx power low warning                :  Off
    Laser bias current high alarm threshold   :  80.000 mA
    Laser bias current low alarm threshold    :  10.000 mA
    Laser output power high alarm threshold   :  1.258 mW / 1.00 dBm