[j-nsp] 'phantom' link aggregation interface

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Oct 24 20:52:17 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:22:44AM -0700, Harry Reynolds wrote:
> I believe this is used to  used to rx/tx link control traffic on the ae,
> i.e., LACP.

Is there some reason that these aren't hidden? I remember a couple years
ago when they started showing up in show interface being very annoyed
when trying to skim through the results. Even more annoying is the dummy
interfaces for VPLS, which appear on every interface for me:

lc-0/2/0                up    up
lc-0/2/0.32769          up    up   vpls

I don't see why you would want to expose these to the end user. Of
course there are a pile of other "bugs" in show interface that have been
around for years and that nobody seems to care about either. For example
"show interface diagnostics optics" allows you to hit enter afterwards
without specifying an interface, but if you don't specify an interface
it won't return any optical data at all. This not only doesn't follow
all other behaviors, but there is no way to "scan" all of your
interfaces for their optical data short of typing them all our manually.