[j-nsp] MTU on RSVP tunnel

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Mon Oct 27 14:03:30 EDT 2008

Hi Harry,
I am pinging with DF-bit set, but also without.  Either way, I get no message that that the packet was dropped because it was too large.  I know that 1500-byte IP packets can get through because any destinations not using the RSVP tunnel work fine.  It's only when the packet traverses the tunnel that they get dropped.  For instance, if I ping x.x.224.2 while sourcing from lo0.0 on R3, everything works because both lo0.0 and x.x.224.2 are seen through the IGP.  If I source from an interface whose return path takes the RSVP tunnel, it dies.  I can see the pings getting to x.x.224.2 by the 'monitor traffic interface' tcpdump, but they don't ever make their way back.  Same happens in reverse.

-evt