[j-nsp] rewrite-rules being applied, despite not being configured

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:39:17 EDT 2008

   If I'm reading correctly at:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos92/swconfig-cos/applying-a-default-rewrite-rule.html#id-11640641

   ...I should have no rewrite rules applied on ge-0/0/0, since "By
default, rewrite rules are not applied to interfaces.".  I understand
that default classifiers are applied to interfaces, but no default
rewrite rules should be.  Unfortunately, I'm seeing a default
rewrite-rule being applied, despite my not having defined one at [edit
class-of-service interfaces].
   Any ideas?  Am I reading something wrong?

Here's my interface...

dball> show configuration interfaces ge-0/0/0
apply-groups gig-ether;
description "10Gig to MX960";
gigether-options {
    no-auto-negotiation;
}
unit 0 {
    bandwidth 10g;
    family inet {
        address 172.16.5.2/30;
    }
    family mpls;
}

Here's some interface stuff, but it's NOT for ge-0/0/0 (and it's not a
rewrite rule):

dball> show configuration class-of-service interfaces
ge-7/0/1 {
    unit 100 {
        classifiers {
            ieee-802.1 default-cust-8021p-trusted;
        }
    }
}

Yet, the following seems to indicate that some default rewrite rules
are being applied to ge-0/0/0:

dball> show class-of-service interface ge-0/0/0
Physical interface: ge-0/0/0, Index: 151
Queues supported: 8, Queues in use: 7
  Scheduler map: <default>, Index: 2

  Logical interface: ge-0/0/0.0, Index: 79
    Object                  Name                   Type                    Index
    Rewrite                 exp-default            exp (mpls-any)             29
    Classifier              exp-default            exp                        10
    Classifier              ipprec-compatibility   ip                         13

And here's the exp-default rewrite rule that it's referring to (which
I didn't define):

dball> show class-of-service rewrite-rule type exp name exp-default
Rewrite rule: exp-default, Code point type: exp, Index: 29
  Forwarding class                    Loss priority       Code point
  be-low-fc                           low                 000
  be-low-fc                           high                001
  scavenger-fc                        low                 010
  scavenger-fc                        high                011
  af-low-fc                           low                 100
  af-low-fc                           high                101
  af-high-fc                          low                 110
  af-high-fc                          high                111