[j-nsp] MX480 power question

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Thu Sep 18 17:49:40 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I have a new MX480 here, equipped with only

   1 x quad 10GE blade
   3 x power supplies

So this is a pretty unloaded box. To start with, only two of the 10GE
ports are going to have optics inserted.

I'm trying to work out the smallest N+1 power configuration I can
organise for this box, since the regular Juniper instructions (3 x 15A
@ 220V AC) is not practical in the suite where this box will start its
life.

Can I expect to be able to get away with 3 x 15A @ 110V AC for this
chassis, as configured right now, and have the box stay up if one of
them fails? Or maybe 3 x 20A @ 110V AC?

Do I need different power supplies for 110V or 220V?

The Juniper docs on the M480 power configuration are ambiguous and
confusing to me, although perhaps that's because I'm not an
electrician. :-)

Joe