[j-nsp] MX480 power question

Johannes Resch jr at xor.at
Mon Sep 22 10:30:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, September 18, 2008 23:49, Joe Abley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a new MX480 here, equipped with only
>
>    1 x quad 10GE blade
>    3 x power supplies
>
> So this is a pretty unloaded box. To start with, only two of the 10GE
> ports are going to have optics inserted.
>
> I'm trying to work out the smallest N+1 power configuration I can
> organise for this box, since the regular Juniper instructions (3 x 15A
> @ 220V AC) is not practical in the suite where this box will start its
> life.
>
> Can I expect to be able to get away with 3 x 15A @ 110V AC for this
> chassis, as configured right now, and have the box stay up if one of
> them fails? Or maybe 3 x 20A @ 110V AC?

Depends whether you want a officially supported box. E.g., MX480 (and even
MX960) with a couple of DPCs will also work with a single AC @ 230V (of
course not officially supported, though.)

> Do I need different power supplies for 110V or 220V?

See
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/mx480/mx480-hwguide/ac-power-system-electrical-specifications.html#hw-ac-power-supply-specs

Regards,
-jr