[j-nsp] Duplicate IP addresses on interfaces

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Tue Sep 30 13:33:48 EDT 2008

I have seen where this is not the case.  While it is an accepted configuration option, it can break routing and cause similar issues to what Richard is saying happens on Juniper.  Sometimes it will forward packets and sometimes it will drop them.  It probably depends on the platform and IOS, but I've seen this wacky behavior on 6509s, 3550s, ME3400s, and ME3750s.

I agree that it should not be allowed and should cause a commit failure.  When we encounter this, often because a customer is moving offices or T1 LECs, we deactivate the 'family inet' portion of the config.  Unfortunately, unless we do a 'commit check' prior to committing, we end up having to commit twice if the warning appears.

-evt