[j-nsp] Duplicate IP addresses on interfaces

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Sep 30 13:39:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:18:25PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	I can think of one reason this would be of value.  In your example
> (removed) both interfaces were enabled.  IMHO, this should fail a
> commit/commit-check.  If one interface is down and the other is up,
> this is an acceptable configuration on Cisco.

Right, you can configure whatever you want on Juniper as long as the
config is inactive. The problem is that it lets you configure the same
IP on two live interfaces, which invariably breaks one or both of them.

> 	I do agree this appears to be a problem, if they implemented this as
> an enhancement (ie: reason for the change) they should be able to
> provide you the ER/Feature documentation, similar to the way cisco can
> provide an EDCS document that references why the decision was made.
> You can still disagree, but it doesn't quite appear to be as big of a
> problem as you suggest.

Wait until you bring down a production interface because you
accidentally configured the same IP twice and nothing prevented it, then
tell me it isn't a problem. There is no legitimate reason for this to be
allowed, and at some point they changed what was a correct and working
behavior into one with no safety net. I for one am tired of outages
caused by this issue, and being told that it isn't actually a problem.