[j-nsp] Duplicate IP addresses on interfaces

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Sep 30 13:42:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:39:03PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:18:25PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > 	I do agree this appears to be a problem, if they implemented this as
> > an enhancement (ie: reason for the change) they should be able to
> > provide you the ER/Feature documentation, similar to the way cisco can
> > provide an EDCS document that references why the decision was made.
> > You can still disagree, but it doesn't quite appear to be as big of a
> > problem as you suggest.
>
> Wait until you bring down a production interface because you
> accidentally configured the same IP twice and nothing prevented it, then
> tell me it isn't a problem. There is no legitimate reason for this to be
> allowed, and at some point they changed what was a correct and working
> behavior into one with no safety net. I for one am tired of outages
> caused by this issue, and being told that it isn't actually a problem.

	Our provisioning system prohibits this type of activity
therefore we're unlikely to have an outage as a result.  Note I said
that having it and inactive/down should give a warning.  I would generally
agree that having both "up" should be a fatal/blocking issue.  Any
developer that convinces themselves otherwise has never experienced
the challenges we share in the "real" world.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net