[j-nsp] Duplicate IP addresses on interfaces

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Tue Sep 30 16:40:06 EDT 2008

Perhaps I can clarify a bit.

One, its seems that we specifically do allow duplicate addresses on ptp,
and we claim to reject such configs on multi-access (ethernet). This was
needed specifically because some customers were intentionally using
duplicate IPs on atm interfaces, for whatever reason.

My testing with recent code indicates that in the ethernet case, we are
doing a partial commit, were we ignore the higher numbered ifd with the
duplicate IP, and this is not clear. There is a pr filed for this
(236094) against 8.5. The pr asked for clarity in the commit warn. I
have updated the above pr with these findings, and indicated that:

1. We should not log any warning in cli for ptp (we now are)
2. That warning for multipoint should be clear that a partial commit
fail did occur.

HTHs

<<< This is what we should do:

Per RLI 1203, Duplicate address is checked at 2 levels:

   0. duplicate address is checked per ifd first:
      . if ifd is p2p , warning message is syslog'ed.
      . if ifd is multi-point, commit fail error is generated.

   1. duplicate address detection then to be done for all interfaces:
      . warning message will be displayed at cli and syslog.
      . for multi-point interface, only the first IFA is installed, the
rest
        of the duplicate addresses will be ignored.
      . for p2p interface, all IFAs will be installed.

<<< My test shows that with ether, we log a warning and only honor the
lowest numbered IFD's ip:

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# run show version
Hostname: vpn04
Model: m40
JUNOS Base OS boot [9.3B3.1]

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# show
fe-5/2/0 {
    fastether-options {
        loopback;
    }
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 200.0.0.1/24;
        }
    }
}
fe-5/2/1 {
    fastether-options {
        loopback;
    }
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 200.0.0.1/24;
        }
    }
}

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# commit
[edit interfaces fe-5/2/1 unit 0 family inet]
  'address 200.0.0.1/24'
    warning: identical local address is found on different interfaces
commit complete

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# run show interfaces terse fe-5/2/1
Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote
fe-5/2/1                up    up
fe-5/2/1.0              up    up   inet

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# run show interfaces terse fe-5/2/0
Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote
fe-5/2/0                up    up
fe-5/2/0.0              up    up   inet     200.0.0.1/24

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# deactivate fe-5/2/0

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# commit
commit complete

[edit interfaces]
regress at vpn04# run show interfaces terse fe-5/2/1
Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote
fe-5/2/1                up    up
fe-5/2/1.0              up    up   inet     200.0.0.1/24

<< I ran same test on sonet. While I still see the commit error, both
ifds are programed with the same IP:

es-5/3/0                up    up
ge-6/0/0                up    up
so-6/1/0                up    up
so-6/1/0.0              up    up   inet     200.0.0.1/24
so-6/1/1                up    up
so-6/1/1.0              up    up   inet     200.0.0.1/24
so-6/1/2                up    up