[j-nsp] EX4200 9.4R2.9 process crash on previously valid config

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Apr 2 18:28:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 01:48:26PM -0400, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:
> Dearest Juniper, please pay more attention to validating configs in
> newer JUNOS vs configs that are allowed on older EX-series software.

Honestly, I think you should just give up now and accept the fact that
Juniper is the new Cisco. If you want to use EX you should probably just
have a lab box that you test your configuration on before deploying,
because they certainly aren't making any effort to QA test their code
before shipping it.

Besides you should consider this progress. In older EX code you could
configure MTUs that didn't actually route in hardware (but that routing
protocols didn't know about, thus causing you to drop LSAs), or uRPF
which wasn't officially supported and caused the box to immediately
crash in an endless loop until you disabled it on console.

It isn't 1999 any more, and Juniper isn't the same company. Stop
expecting superior products, that isn't the business model any more. :(