[j-nsp] Juniper M20 LACP oddness.

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 24 17:29:43 EDT 2009

> Why do you believe this is a hash settings issue?

Maybe because you didn't say anything about it?

> The egress load seems evenly distributed between the two active interfaces. When the ae0 interface plateaus at 1Gbps , both physical interfaces plateau at  ~500Mbps.   I've also read that layer-4 hashing can be CPU/memory intensive. Would just layer-3 be sufficient?

The Juniper router performs the hashing in hardware. CPU/memory isn't
really relevant here.

At our end we have recent experience with load balancing Internet
traffic over 5 x 1 Gbps links. We used layer3 *and* layer-4 hashing,
and got very good distribution of the traffic. We were able to fill
all 5 links to capacity.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no