[j-nsp] lsp required for vpls?

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Sun Aug 9 15:06:41 EDT 2009

MPLS does not "depend" on RSVP.

MPLS itself has "multiple" layers.  The most basic model is the "transport" layer underneath an "application" layer.  This is the model many service providers use.

Each "layer" has its own signaling.  So, for instance, the transport layer in a service provider network gets traffic between the edges of the provider's network (PE to PE).  Routing between PEs is based on a routed loopback on each of the PEs.  At the transport layer, from hop-to-hop, signalling can be LDP or RSVP or even BGP (not VPNv4, but BGP signalled labels).

At the application layer (VPLS, L3VPN, etc), a second MPLS label is added.  VPNv4 is used between PEs to signal labels for L3VPN routes.  VPLS signals its labels with either "directed" LDP or BGP.  This label becomes the "inner" label of a dual-label stack.  The outer label is the transport layer.

Now you can have multiple transport layers for instance in the case of different Inter-AS options or CSC, if you are doing those things...  And in any case you can have multiple application layers running in parallel...

Juniper, of course, recommends RSVP for the transport layer so their troubleshooting documentation reflects that.  Cisco recommends LDP, which is a standard version of TDP which is Cisco proprietary.

I hope this helps.