[j-nsp] monitor interface rate

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:01:51 EDT 2009

You can override the SNMP-reported "bandwidth" of an interface by the
following:

interfaces {
     ge-1/3/0 {
         vlan-tagging;
         unit 101 {
             bandwidth 100m;
             vlan-id 101;
             family inet {
                 address x.x.x.x/x;
             }
         }

The "bandwidth" line is what will be reported as the SNMP interface
bandwidth of say, a VLAN interface. Note the original interface is 1G,
and all VLAns will also be reported as 1G. However, since I know this
interface eventually connects to a 100M LAN switch, I can set it
lower. Your SNMP manager will then read this during it's interface
collection/sweep, and do the calculation to see if it exceeds some pre-
defined threshold (50%, 70%, 90%) etc. Cacti does it (and can raise an
alarm), network-weathermap does it (and email you), etc...

Commercially, I use Intermapper for this - does it out of the box: http://www.intermapper.com/

Regards,

- Chris.