[j-nsp] EX3200 Interface Strangeness

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Aug 19 08:57:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:37:53AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 09:31:01 pm Steve Steiner wrote:
>
> > It's implemented.  It's called an EX4200.
>
> Like I said, a "feature".
>
> So while I'm aware Juniper wouldn't do anything about it on
> the EX3200, I'd do well to remember other vendors who don't
> have this limitation for various platforms in their product
> line for just about the same price or lower when compared -
> especially when I don't require the extra features the
> EX4200 provides.

I'm sure its a cost cutting measure. :) A better use of time would be
arguing for having 4 "combo" ports of the opposite type (i.e. 4 SFPs on
a copper box, 4 copper ports on an SFP box, etc) integrated in future
models, in addition to the uplink module.  This would make the EX
competetive with similar platforms from Foundry, Extreme, etc. Right now
you're just SOL if you need your 10GE uplinks plus one or two of the
"other" media type, the best you could hope for is stacking two complete
switches to get that other type.