[j-nsp] EX3200 Interface Strangeness

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Aug 19 10:02:01 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 08:57:19 pm Richard A
Steenbergen wrote:

> I'm sure its a cost cutting measure. :) A better use of
> time would be arguing for having 4 "combo" ports of the
> opposite type (i.e. 4 SFPs on a copper box, 4 copper
> ports on an SFP box, etc) integrated in future models, in
> addition to the uplink module.  This would make the EX
> competetive with similar platforms from Foundry, Extreme,
> etc. Right now you're just SOL if you need your 10GE
> uplinks plus one or two of the "other" media type, the
> best you could hope for is stacking two complete switches
> to get that other type.

I suppose the basic premise that comes out from the posts on
this subject is that Juniper still have quite some way to go
in the switching department, especially as it may apply to
service providers and large enterprises, both from a
hardware and software point of view.

I guess their newer platforms, the EX2200 and EX2500 are a
step farther into that direction, (and I imagine we'll be
seeing more "targeted" platforms being released over time),
and hopefully, there's something in there for all of us :-).

For now, all we can do is continue to bug our Juniper
account management teams, make 10,000 unit orders, or both
:-).

Mark.