[j-nsp] Partition/Format new HD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 21 12:56:45 EDT 2009

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:32:30 -0400
> From: Brendan Mannella <bmannella at teraswitch.com>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Hello,
>
> I have been battling trying to replace a failed hard disk on my juniper m7i.
> I have finally got the disk to be recognized by the system. Now I need to
> put all the partitions back. The router successfully boots from the CF so I
> can run system commands.
>
> I tried..
>
> root at ibr1.pit> request system partition hard-disk
> mount: /dev/ad1s1e on /altconfig: incorrect super block
> ERROR: Can't access hard disk, aborting partition.
>
> Am I missing a command first?

request system snapshot partition

but, if the disk is already partitioned for Windows, you should first
start shell and 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adq bs=512 count=1024

This assumes the hard disk is ad1. You can confirm this with 'tail
/var/run/dmesg' after starting shell or 'file show /var/run/dmesg' in
the CLI.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)