[j-nsp] Partition/Format new HD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 21 13:53:01 EDT 2009

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:56:45 -0700
> From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> > Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 12:32:30 -0400
> > From: Brendan Mannella <bmannella at teraswitch.com>
> > Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been battling trying to replace a failed hard disk on my juniper m7i.
> > I have finally got the disk to be recognized by the system. Now I need to
> > put all the partitions back. The router successfully boots from the CF so I
> > can run system commands.
> >
> > I tried..
> >
> > root at ibr1.pit> request system partition hard-disk
> > mount: /dev/ad1s1e on /altconfig: incorrect super block
> > ERROR: Can't access hard disk, aborting partition.
> >
> > Am I missing a command first?
>
> request system snapshot partition
>
> but, if the disk is already partitioned for Windows, you should first
> start shell and 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adq bs=512 count=1024
>
> This assumes the hard disk is ad1. You can confirm this with 'tail
> /var/run/dmesg' after starting shell or 'file show /var/run/dmesg' in
> the CLI.

Replying to myself to correct my mistakes:

The command to wipe the partition table on a disk set up for Windows, it
should have read:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad1 bs=512 count=1024
Lazy finger!

More importantly, once that is done 'request system partition hard-disk'
is the correct way to partition the hard drive. the snapshot command
will only create the partitions needed to snapshot the flash and not 'b'
(swap) or 'f' (var) which don't exist on the CF.

Sorry for posting the bogus information.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)