[j-nsp] MPLS Layer 2 backaul on EX/MX

Jay Hanke jhanke at myclearwave.net
Thu Aug 27 14:49:17 EDT 2009

I have a number of EX series switches carrying vlans back to a central MX
480.

I have remote customers running bgp with their sessions terminating on the
MX. Currently the whole system operates in layer two.

I would like to move to a partial mesh deployment and use MPLS-CCC to carry
the EX customer traffic back to the MX.

The problem is, at the MX interface the traffic will be inside the tunnel. I
could take a jumper and loop two of the MX ports using 1 to bridge and one
to terminate the IP. That seems like a hack.

Is there another method that could be used to terminate to a loopback
interface or bridge domain so I don’t need to burn the ports with loop
plugs?

Customer à EX 4200 à MPLS-CCC à MX 480