[j-nsp] ISIS Adjacency Problems

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Thu Dec 3 11:53:48 EST 2009

Eric,

Eric Van Tol wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to bring up ISIS between a J2350 running 8.5R2.10 and an MRV Optiswitch.  I currently have ISIS running on the J2350 in an IPv6-only capacity.  If I enable it for this new interface and disable IPv6 in the interface config in ISIS, I still see hellos going out with IPv6 capability.  Here's my config:
>
> topologies ipv6-unicast;
> interface ge-0/0/1.930 {
>     no-ipv4-multicast;
>     no-ipv6-unicast;
>     no-ipv6-multicast;
>     level 1 priority 10;
>     level 2 priority 10;
> }
> interface ge-0/0/2.0 {
>     no-unicast-topology;
> }
> interface lo0.0 {
>     passive;
> }

as far as I am aware, you cannot selectively disable ipv6 on certain
interfaces. You can exclude them from being used in the routing
topology, but in order to stop the announcement of the ipv6 capability
you have to disable isis ipv6 routing completely using "no-ipv6-routing"
within "protocols isis".

I've had similiar trouble with getting ISIS adjacencies up vs a Foundry
device - the ipv6 capability should be "optional" (as in multiprotocol
bgp sessions) - if you have a juniper box with "no-ipv6-routing"; it
will happily form adjacencies with other junipers doing v4 & v6.
Many other vendors (at least Foundry and apparently MRV) will not - I
ended up having to configure an ipv6 address on the foundry device as
well as doing isis ipv6 configuration, even though it's really unneeded.

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of Network

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - 51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: 0800 467 8387 - Fax: +49 180 5 66 3233 (*)
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - USt-IdNr.: DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller

(*) 0,14 EUR/Min. aus dem dt. Festnetz, Mobilfunkpreise ggf. abweichend