[j-nsp] Sampling Traffic --- Urgent

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Dec 20 11:45:57 EST 2009

> 1) Interfaces where upstream providers are connected, input and output
> sampling has enabled, is it a best practice or not?

Well, if you want to collect netflow info you need to have sampling
enabled. "Best practice" isn't really relevant here, I think.

However, if you're wondering about such things as sampling ratio, you
should probably start with something like 1:1000 and see if that works
for your needs.

> 2)In sampling forwarding options, I have configured cflowd destination
> (203.XX.XX.2) a collector server IP, with the source IP of interface C. Is
> it a best practice if i kept the source IP as the interface C (collector
> connected interface 203.xx.xx.1) or not ?  If i don't specify the source IP
> address then what can be the result?

We use the loopback address of the router as the source address (we have
"default-address-selection" set under the system stanza). In general it
would preferable to use the loopback address instead of an interface
address.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no