[j-nsp] Sampling Traffic --- Urgent

Bit Gossip bit.gossip at chello.nl
Mon Dec 21 01:50:40 EST 2009

Hi Uttam,
I think it is common practice, and it is required also by major netflow
tools, to have sampling enabled as input on all interfaces. This allows
to directly getting stats for ingress traffic and indirectly getting
stats for egress traffic by aggregating on the egress if-index of the
netflow record. This avoid double counting the same flow first on
ingress on one interface and then again on egress on another interface.
As a source interface I would suggest using lo0 interface for the fact
that it is always up, this is also what would happen by default if you
configure default-address-selection and do not configure the
source-address.
One thing that you may want to check: I think that the M10i is equipped
with the integrated service-pic that would allow to perform sampling in
hardware rather than on the RE. In that case you find a sp-././.
interface. By enabling family inet on it you enable the service pic;
then you can source netflow from it.
HTH,
Bit.

    sp-1/0/0 {