[j-nsp] tagged traffic on EX access port

Dan Farrell danno at appliedi.net
Wed Dec 23 12:32:28 EST 2009

Hey Guys,

In reading the EX-series Software Guide for JUNOS10, it states the following limitations for tagged traffic-

Creating tagged VLANs in a series has the following limitations:
- Layer 3 interfaces do not support this feature.
- Because an access interface can only support one VLAN member, access
interfaces also do not support this feature.
- Voice over IP (VoIP) configurations do not support a range of tagged VLANs.

It's the second stipulation that I have a problem with- we have a server with VPS's hosted that are all currently using the same VLANID- but on the server (win2k8-dc) since there is only a single vlan defined on the port, it remains as access, not trunk.

We can fake out the Juniper (EX3200-48T running [10.0R2.10]) by creating an additional vlan on the server nic for another VPS, but that wastes resources and/or makes the configuration a little more wonky.

I messed with "vlan-tagging" on the physical interface, and it apparently will not play with 'family ethernet-switching' on the unit 0 of the interface, and demands that unit 0 take a vlan-id of 0 (not the vlan-id of the VPS'). It looks like most of that functionality is put together for tunneling (not for our operations).

Anyway, if you have run into this and found a workaround in the switch itself, any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan Farrell
Director of Network Operations
Applied Innovations Corp.