[j-nsp] Upgrade from M10i?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Tue Feb 3 12:42:20 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:23:27PM -0000, michael.firth at bt.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a number of M7i's and an M10i and are very happy with them.
> >
> > However, we need to go to 10Gig shortly and I wondered if
> > anyone could
> > suggest what options are available. I understand Juniper have
> > some new
> > switches and wonderd if they might be suitable.
> >
> > We need at least 4 x 10G ports and 8 x 1G ports, IPv4/IPv6,
> > OSPFv2/OSPFv3, full BGP (peering/transit), no MPLS and that's about
> > it.

[...]
> The second option is the EX platform, if you make 2 EX 4200-24s into a
> virtual chassis, and put the 2x10GigE uplink module into each one, you
> can create a router / switch with 48 GigE ports and 4 10GigE ports.
> This will be the cheapest option, but the code is still maturing,
> and I'm not sure its capable of handling a full BGP table (I think
> theres a sub-100,000 route limit).

There is 12.000 route-limit on small EX-switches, so they are not an
option here...
Well, there are 'big' EX-series switches (EX-8200) announced in December,
and (by specifications) they will be able to hold a full-view, but as far
as i know, they're not shipping yet.

> The final, and probably best option, is the MX series. I don't have
> any direct experience with this platform (yet), but you could use an
> MX240 with a 10GigE and a GigE DPC-R which would meet your needs.
> As others have said, and as with the EX option, you will have rather
> more GigE ports than you wanted - 40 instead of 8.

I'm second for that option. May be not MX-240 but MX-480, that
depends mostly on available power and rack space...