[j-nsp] Upgrade from M10i?

ken lindahl lindahl at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:17:12 EST 2009

On 2/3/2009 6:30 AM, Mark Johnson wrote:
> We need at least 4 x 10G ports and 8 x 1G ports, IPv4/IPv6,
> OSPFv2/OSPFv3, full BGP (peering/transit), no MPLS and that's about it.
>
> While I love Junipers I would consider Cisco so if anyone might suggest
> suitable Cisco models I'd also appreciate that.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mark

i'm have approximately the same requirements as Mark and considering the
MX480 vs M120 choice, so i very much appreciate the comments folks have
made about the MX series. we have an M120 and are happy with it, but
there is a substantial price difference between the MX480 and M120, and
we have no need for non-ethernet interfaces.

Mark did not mention multicast explicitly; we need this router to do IPv4/IPv6
multicast. has anyone got any experience with multicast on the MX series?

thanks,
ken

p.s.: it's worth noting that adding "tunnel PIC capability" to an MX, in order to
have it act as an RP, uses a full slot in the chassis.